The Media Foundation for West Africa (MFWA) in collaboration with IBIS Ghana, is offering funding opportunity to Journalists in Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone and Burkina Faso for the production and publication of stories on ECOWAS, and its Protocols that mandate member states to promote pro-poor policies.
This initiative forms part of the MFWA-IBIS Ghana funded project: ‘’Promoting Citizens’ Awareness on ECOWAS Protocols and Frameworks on Good Governance and Economic Redistribution’’ being implemented in four countries in West Africa.
The project seeks to increase the awareness and knowledge of citizens on ECOWAS and its Protocol on Democracy and Good Governance and Frameworks that mandate member states to promote pro-poor policies.
The Funding Opportunity for Journalists seeks to increase media reportage on the ECOWAS Protocol on Democracy and Good Governance (PDGG). It also seeks to encourage participatory governance of citizens and raise issues of accountable governance for a fair economic redistribution of resources.
Under the project about 100 influential journalists and editors from Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone and Burkina Faso received training on ECOWAS and its Protocol on Democracy and Good Governance.
The training resulted in the setting up of a Network of ECOWAS Reporters in the four project countries. It also enhanced participant’s knowledge of ECOWAS policies and frameworks that mandate member states to promote pro-poor policies and fair economic redistribution.
The call is open to journalists in Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone and Burkina Faso.
Find out more about how to apply for funding below.
Who is eligible to apply?
Journalists in Ghana, Sierra Leone, Liberia, and Burkina Faso who are working with recognized media houses or are prominent freelance journalists.
Types of media products
Documentaries, features, articles (Radio, TV, Print, and Online).
How to apply?
Applicants should submit a brief description of their stories highlighting the following:
- Name and Contact
- Story idea
- Intended impact of story
- Timeline for story development and publication
- Estimated budget(100 and 250 US Dollars)
Applicants should send information to MFWA at: email@example.com with subject: “ECOWAS Stories’’. The MFWA will confirm receipt of submitted proposal by e-mail and confirm approved funding support.
Publication of stories
- Stories to be supported under this call must be produced and published/broadcast between October 15th 2016 and December 31st 2016.
- Journalists are to publish their stories in their respective media organisations and possibly other recognized media platforms. Links to online publication of stories, Audio and Visuals recordings of broadcast stories should be submitted to the MFWA as evidence.
- Once the evidence of publication/broadcast of story is submitted to the MFWA, the approved funding will immediately be given out.
For more information about the application process and the project, kindly write to Abigail Larbi Odei; Programme Manager for Media, Democracy and Development at: abigail[@]mfwa.org.