L’Association Guinéenne des éditeurs de la Presse Indépendante (AGEPI) Guinea’s independent newspaper publishers’ association, is the first press union in the country. Created in 1991, it was led by the then press owners who all worked for its survival.
AGEPI is the springboard for the establishment of the rule of law, democracy and press freedom in Guinea. Their objectives are:
- To defend and promote the freedom of the press and the economic independence of newspapers as an essential condition of this freedom;
- to develop print media in Guinea;
- to defend the profession of press publisher as well as the material, moral and financial interests of its members;
- help newspaper publishers assert their presence in the field by offering competitive, high-quality products;
- help newspaper publishers assert their presence in the field by offering competitive, high-quality products
- to seek ways and means for the training of journalists and technicians in the sector;
- and promote a better distribution of the newspapers published by the member bodies.